PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES
|BODY||Bristol Commercial Vehicles Ltd|
|OWNER||Bristol Vintage Bus Group|
AHU 803 was built in 1934 by the Bristol Tramways and Carriage Company. It started life as a private hire coach, and remained unchanged until 1941 when seating was rearranged and the vehicle operated as a bus. After the war a Gardner 5LW diesel engine was fitted replacing the original Bristol 6-cylinder petrol engine. In 1947 it was re-bodied with a new bus body at the operatorís coachworks at Brislington, Bristol. Withdrawn in 1958, it was used that year in connection with the construction of Bristol bus station.
It was later sold to Nailsworth Boys' Club, when bunk beds and a kitchen were fitted and it was painted light blue. The vehicle was bought from Nailsworth Boys' Club in June 1978 and stored for many years in a underground factory. It was then moved to Saltford before moving to Yate goods shed in September 1981 where restoration started. It was moved from Yate to Brislington in February 1993 and restoration was completed during 1999. It is one of only three preserved Bristol 'J' types, and the only one that operated with Bristol Tramways.
Information from: http://www.bvbg.org.uk/AHU803.htm
|Above photo taken at:||Warminster Annual Bus Running Day|
|Taken on:||9th October 2011|
Return to Bus & Coach List
Photographs © Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission