PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No CR 16
REG FXT 122
MAKE Leyland
MODEL Cub, rear engine
YEAR 1939
BODY London Transport
OWNER Malcolm Skevington
HISTORY This innovative class of vehicle has a rear engine and sliding passenger door at the front.  It was new in 1939 at Windsor garage, but went into storage in 1942 for the duration of the war.  Out of storage in 1946, this vehicle and several others were used at Streatham garage on route 133, although still painted green.  By 1947 it was at Kingston for route 213 - still green.  The class was withdrawn in 1951, and this bus with several others went for service in Cyprus.  CR 16 was found derelict in a field in Cyprus in 1979, and brought back to the UK for rebuild.  After many years, and using original blue prints to make new parts, the restored vehicle finally debuted in 2007.

 

 


Showing the radiator cover of the rear engine

 

Above photo taken at: London Bus Museum, Brooklands
Taken on: 26th February 2012

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2012
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com