PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No GS 34
REG MXX 334
MAKE GUY
MODEL GS
YEAR 1953
BODY Eastern Coach Works, Lowestoft.
OWNER London Bus Museum
HISTORY At the beginning of the 1950s, London Transport needed to replace its aging fleet of small single decker buses.  They needed small buses for the sparsely populated country areas, and only small buses would be allowed to have one-man operation.  AEC and Leyland were not making small vehicles, so LT turned to the Guy Special .  Guy produced 84 chassis with Perkins P6 diesel engines, and the Eastern Coach Works body seated 26.  They were introduced from late 1953.  They remained in use until the 1960s (a few into the 1970s), but were gradually replaced by new larger vehicles.  Large numbers were sold to private operators, and many have survived into preservation.

GS 34 entered service for London Transport in 1953, operating from Amersham garage.  During the 1960s she worked from a number of different garages including Garston, Grays and Hertford.  The vehicle transferred to training duties in 1965 and was eventually sold in 1969.  She remained in private use until purchased for preservation in 1976.  The bus was donated to the London Bus Museum in 1999.

 

 

 

Above photos taken at: London Bus Museum, Brooklands, Surrey
Taken: 26th February 2012

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2012
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com