PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No GS 42
REG MXX 342
MAKE GUY
MODEL GS
YEAR 1953
BODY Eastern Coach Works, Lowestoft.
OWNER Geoff Heels of West Ewell, Surrey
HISTORY At the beginning of the 1950s, London Transport needed to replace its aging fleet of small single decker buses.  They needed small buses for the sparsely populated country areas, and only small buses would be allowed to have one-man operation.  AEC and Leyland were not making small vehicles, so LT turned to the Guy Special .  Guy produced 84 chassis with Perkins P6 diesel engines, and the Eastern Coach Works body seated 26.  They were introduced from late 1953.  They remained in use until the 1960s (a few into the 1970s), but were gradually replaced by new larger vehicles.  Large numbers were sold to private operators, and many have survived into preservation.

GS 42 entered service for London Transport in 1953, operating from Dorking garage, Surrey, but in 1955 she went up to work on Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire routes until 1962.  From 1962 the vehicle was used for training but returned to passenger service in the mid-1960s, based at Dorking, and used on route 433.  From 1968 she returned to training duties, but in 1971 she went back into passenger service for London Country on route 336A, serving Loudwater Village, near High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.  This vehicle has the distinction of being the last GS in service for London Country, on 30th March 1972.  She was sold to a school in Ashford, Middlesex later in 1972, but was bought for preservation by the present owner in 1973, and has been shown at rallies ever since.

 

 

 

Above photos taken at: Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.
Taken: 10th April 2011

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com