PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No Q 83
REG CGJ 188
MAKE AEC
MODEL Q type
YEAR 1935
BODY Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Works - 35 seat
OWNER London Bus Museum, Brooklands
HISTORY Very innovative for the time, the Q vehicles had the engine on the off-side, behind the front wheel.  Inside, a longitudinal bench seat was fitted over the engine cover.  The engine turned an offset differential on the rear axle, which necessitated the use of single tyres at the rear.

This vehicle was one of 102 buses built for the country area during 1935-6.  Originally at Dorking, it moved to Reigate from where it was withdrawn in 1953.  It was sold to a Midlands organisation in 1954 for use as a ramp ambulance.  Acquired for preservation in 1966, it was fully restored, and by the 1970s it was attending rallies, repainted LT green.  It was painted red in 2001, and was donated to the London Bus Museum in 2003.  Although
Q 83 always operated in green, it is displayed in red to represent those buses that worked in the central area.

 

 

Above photo taken at: London Bus Museum, Brooklands
Taken on: 26th February 2012

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2012
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com