PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RF 354
REG MLL 991
MAKE AEC Regent IV
MODEL RF
YEAR 1952
BODY Metro Cammell
OWNER Northchapel Bus Consortium
HISTORY The RF was the standard single decker London bus during the 1950s and 1960s.  It is a 30ft long, high-floor vehicle with a centrally mounted engine fitted underneath.  The chassis is an AEC Regent IV, hence the code RF (Regent Four), and the body is by Metro Cammell, seating 41.  A prototype was tried out on the country area 355 route from St Albans, and was successful.  Production and delivery began in 1952.  This class was used extensively on central (red) suburban routes, in the London Transport country (green) areas, and Green Line coach routes.

RF 354 was new to Merton garage in 1952 for route 200.  From 1957 to 1965 she was at Muswell Hill garage, although towards the end of that period she was stored.  Having been adapted for one man operation, she went to Norbiton garage from 1966 to 1972.  The vehicle was sold in 1978 and used by a Round Table group.  The vehicle was eventually purchased by the Northchapel Bus Consortium (its current owners) in 1999, and this group carried out the complete restoration of the vehicle.  She was attending rallies from 2009.

 

 

Above photo taken at: Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.
Taken on: 10th April 2011

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com