PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RF 366
REG MXX 8
MAKE AEC Regent IV
MODEL RF
YEAR 1952
BODY Metro Cammell
OWNER J Andress, Chippenham
HISTORY The RF was the standard single decker London bus during the 1950s and 1960s.  It is a 30ft long, high-floor vehicle with a centrally mounted engine fitted underneath.  The chassis is an AEC Regent IV, hence the code RF (Regent Four), and the body is by Metro Cammell, seating 41.  A prototype was tried out on the country area 355 route from St Albans, and was successful.  Production and delivery began in 1952.  This class was used extensively on central (red) suburban routes, in the London Transport country (green) areas, and Green Line coach routes.

RF 366 entered service in 1952 at Hounslow garage.  She remained there until 1961 when she went to Mill Hill.  In 1965 one-man-operation modifications were made, and the following year the vehicle transferred to Fulwell.  After working from Kingston garage from 1971 she was withdrawn in 1976.  Purchased by the Sports Association, Peckham, in 1976 she was sold into private ownership for preservation in 1985.  She has been with the present owner since 1989.

 

 

 

 

Above photo taken at: Warminster Annual Bus Running Day
Taken on: 9th October 2011

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com