PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RF 395
REG MXX 283
MAKE AEC Regent IV
MODEL RF
YEAR 1953
BODY Metro Cammell
OWNER Cobham Bus Museum
HISTORY The RF was the standard single decker London bus during the 1950s and 1960s.  It is a 30ft long, high-floor vehicle with a centrally mounted engine fitted underneath.  The chassis is an AEC Regent IV, hence the code RF (Regent Four), and the body is by Metro Cammell, seating 41.  A prototype was tried out on the country area 355 route from St Albans, and was successful.  Production and delivery began in 1952.  This class was used extensively on central (red) suburban routes, in the London Transport country (green) areas, and Green Line coach routes.

RF 395 was new at Norbiton garage in 1953 for route 213.  She was at Sutton 1954-56; Hounslow 1957-59; at Bromley for route 227 from 1960; finishing her LT life at Dalston between 1965 and 1971.  In 1972 she was sold into private use, and changed hands several times until 1980 when she was purchased for preservation.  After becoming derelict, she was fully restored from 2003, and is now part of the Cobham Bus Museum fleet of preserved buses.

 

 

Above photo taken at: Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.
Taken on: 10th April 2011

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com