PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RF 401
REG MXX 289
MAKE AEC Regent IV
MODEL RF
YEAR 1953
BODY Metro Cammell
OWNER London Bus Company, Northfleet, Kent
HISTORY The RF was the standard single decker London bus during the 1950s and 1960s.  It is a 30ft long, high-floor vehicle with a centrally mounted engine fitted underneath.  The chassis is an AEC Regent IV, hence the code RF (Regent Four), and the body is by Metro Cammell, seating 41.  A prototype was tried out on the country area 355 route from St Albans, and was successful.  Production and delivery began in 1952.  This class was used extensively on central (red) suburban routes, in the London Transport country (green) areas, and Green Line coach routes.

RF 401 entered service in 1953 at Sutton garage for route 213. After overhaul in 1957, she worked out of Muswell Hill until 1961.  The vehicle then worked from several garages until 1970 when doors were fitted for one man operation.  Finally she was sold by LT in 1976, and had various owners until bought by Blue Triangle in 1990.  In 2007 she was purchased by the London Bus Company for private hire use, such as weddings.

 

 

Above photo taken at: Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.
Taken on: 10th April 2011

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com