PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RF 486
REG MXX 463
MAKE AEC Regent IV
MODEL RF
YEAR 1953
BODY Metro Cammell
OWNER P Osborn & S Whitelegg, Godalming, Surrey
HISTORY The RF was the standard single decker London bus during the 1950s and 1960s.  It is a 30ft long, high-floor vehicle with a centrally mounted engine fitted underneath.  The chassis is an AEC Regent IV, hence the code RF (Regent Four), and the body is by Metro Cammell, seating 41.  A prototype was tried out on the country area 355 route from St Albans, and was successful.  Production and delivery began in 1952.  This class was used extensively on central (red) suburban routes, in the London Transport country (green) areas, and Green Line coach routes.

RF 486 entered service in 1953 at Muswell Hill garage for routes 210/212.  After overhaul in 1961, she spent time at various garages including Kingston and Norbiton.  By 1973 she was in use as an LT staff bus at Chiswick, and from 1977 the vehicle was used as a trainer.  She was sold for preservation in 1979, and changed hands several times until purchased in 2002 by the current owners.  She has appeared at countless rallies and events over recent years.

 

 

Above photo taken at: Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.
Taken on: 10th April 2011

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com