PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES
|FLEET No||RF 491|
|HISTORY||The RF is a 30ft
long, high-floor bus with a centrally mounted engine fitted
underneath. The chassis is an AEC
Regent IV, hence the code RF (Regent Four), and the body is by Metro
Cammell, seating 41. A prototype was tried out on the country area
355 route from St Albans, and was successful. Production and
delivery began in 1952.
RF 491 was one of a batch allocated to Sidcup Garage in 1953. The central area (red) RF buses all had open entrance platforms, and were crewed by a driver and conductor. However, in June 1966 (along with the others) it was fitted with automatic folding doors and other features to allow for one man operation. RF 491 finished passenger duties with London Transport at Croydon Garage in 1972. It remained with LT for training purposes until 1977. It then went into private ownership for preservation and shows, during which time the photo below was taken. However, it briefly returned to passenger use with BTS Coaches in early 1989. Later the same year, though, it went back into preservation ownership until 1995 when it was purchased by the present owners, Timebus Travel. It is now available for hire from this retro-bus hire company.
The RF 491 history was obtained from the Timebus website: click here to view.
|Above photo taken at:||Steam & Vintage Vehicle Rally, Rushmoor Arena, Aldershot, Hants.|
|Above photo taken at:||Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.|
|Taken:||10th April 2011|
Return to Bus & Coach List
Photographs © Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission