PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RF 503
REG MXX 480
MAKE AEC Regent IV
MODEL RF
YEAR 1953
BODY Metro Cammell
OWNER D Joseph, Newbury Park, Essex.
HISTORY The RF was the standard single decker London bus during the 1950s and 1960s.  It is a 30ft long, high-floor vehicle with a centrally mounted engine fitted underneath.  The chassis is an AEC Regent IV, hence the code RF (Regent Four), and the body is by Metro Cammell, seating 41.  A prototype was tried out on the country area 355 route from St Albans, and was successful.  Production and delivery began in 1952.  This class was used extensively on central (red) suburban routes, in the London Transport country (green) areas, and Green Line coach routes.

RF 503 entered service on Route 241 from Sidcup garage in 1953.  Doors were added in 1959 for one man operation.  The bus then saw service at Norbiton, Kingston, Loughton, Hounslow and Edgware, until withdrawn in 1977 after 24 years.  It was purchased for preservation in 1977, and bought by D Joseph in 1978.  She has appeared at numerous bus rallies for over three decades.

 

 

Above photo taken at: Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.
Taken on: 10th April 2011

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com