PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RF 600
REG NLE 600
MAKE AEC Regent IV
MODEL RF
YEAR 1953
BODY Metro Cammell
OWNER Purley Transport Preservation Group
HISTORY The RF was the standard single decker London bus during the 1950s and 1960s.  It is a 30ft long, high-floor vehicle with a centrally mounted engine fitted underneath.  The chassis is an AEC Regent IV, hence the code RF (Regent Four), and the body is by Metro Cammell, seating 41.  A prototype was tried out on the country area 355 route from St Albans, and was successful.  Production and delivery began in 1952.  This class was used extensively on central (red) suburban routes, in the London Transport country (green) areas, and Green Line coach routes.

RF 600 entered service in 1953 at Guildford.  From 1957 to 1968 she was operating in Hertfordshire, mainly from Hertford or St Albans.  She was transferred to London Country in 1970, but sold sold to private operators in west London during 1971.  The vehicle was acquired for preservation in 1975, and purchased by the Purley Transport Preservation Group in 2005.

 

 

Above photo taken at: Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.
Taken on: 10th April 2011

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com