PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RF 644
REG NLE 644
MAKE AEC Regent IV
MODEL RF
YEAR 1953
BODY Metro Cammell
OWNER T.Cunnington & R.Shirley, London
HISTORY The RF was the standard single decker London bus during the 1950s and 1960s.  It is a 30ft long, high-floor vehicle with a centrally mounted engine fitted underneath.  The chassis is an AEC Regent IV, hence the code RF (Regent Four), and the body is by Metro Cammell, seating 41.  A prototype was tried out on the country area 355 route from St Albans, and was successful.  Production and delivery began in 1952.  This class was used extensively on central (red) suburban routes, in the London Transport country (green) areas, and Green Line coach routes.

RF 644 was new in 1953 at Hemel Hempstead garage. In 1958 she was converted for one man operation and allocated to St Albans, later transferring to Hertford.  In 1970 she went with all other green buses to the London Country Bus Company, but was withdrawn the following year.  From 1971 to 1978 she worked for a number of different operators, but was sold into preservation in 1979.  She was purchased by the current owners in 2002, and in 2006 she was repainted, retaining the London Country livery.

 

 

Above photo taken at: Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.
Taken on: 10th April 2011

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com