PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RF 673
REG NLE 673
MAKE AEC Regent IV
MODEL RF
YEAR 1953
BODY Metro Cammell
OWNER P.Cartwright, High Wycombe
HISTORY The RF was the standard single decker London bus during the 1950s and 1960s.  It is a 30ft long, high-floor vehicle with a centrally mounted engine fitted underneath.  The chassis is an AEC Regent IV, hence the code RF (Regent Four), and the body is by Metro Cammell, seating 41.  A prototype was tried out on the country area 355 route from St Albans, and was successful.  Production and delivery began in 1952.  This class was used extensively on central (red) suburban routes, in the London Transport country (green) areas, and Green Line coach routes.

RF 673 was new at East Grinstead garage in 1953.  She transferred to Reigate in 1957, and was modified for one man operation in 1958.  The vehicle worked from Northfleet (Kent), from 1958 to 1968.  After that she operated from a number of different garages up to 1976, having transferred to London Country in 1970, although she was out of use for several periods of time.  She was bought for preservation in 1976, changing hands a few times, and spending a couple of years in Yorkshire.  She was acquired by the present owners in 2007.

 

 

Above photo taken at: Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.
Taken on: 10th April 2011

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com