PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RMC 1461
REG 461 CLT
MAKE AEC
MODEL Routemaster
YEAR 1962
BODY Park Royal Vehicles
OWNER London Bus Museum, Brooklands
HISTORY Entered service as a Green Line coach in 1962 at Guildford.  After overhaul in 1967 she was allocated to Hertford for the 715 service.  In 1970 she transferred to the new London Country Bus Company and worked as a bus from 1972.  In 1979 she was repurchased by London Transport and used as a trainer, being repainted red in 1985.  In 1989 she was painted red and gold for the X15 service in east London.  By 1994 she had been repainted back into Green Line livery and used by the Stagecoach bus company, and at the beginning of the new century she was working on route 15 and other routes around east London.  She was donated to the London Bus Museum in 2003 but continued in London service until 2006.  She is now part of the LBM exhibition at Brooklands, and takes part in running days from time to time.

Inside, the Routemaster coaches had luggage racks, deeper, more comfortable seats and fluorescent lighting.  Outside, they had rear folding doors and twin headlamps.  Mechanically, the final drive differentials had higher ratios to provide faster speeds on the long distance runs.

 

 


Interior of the Routemaster Coach

 

Above photos taken at: London Bus Museum, Brooklands
Taken on: 26th February 2012

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2012
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com