PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RML 2613
REG NML 613E
MAKE AEC Regent V
MODEL Routemaster (Lengthened)
YEAR 1967
BODY Park Royal
OWNER T. Hart, Royston.
HISTORY The London Routemaster is the iconic London double decker bus.  The prototype was built in 1954, and full production began in 1958, continuing until 1968.  It was designed to replace the previous RT series buses, and the London trollybuses.  The chassis and engine were by AEC for most Routemasters, but some were manufactured by Leyland.  The Leyland versions however, had no visible external differences from the AECs.  The Routemaster was the last bus designed by London Transport.  When Routemaster replacements were introduced in the 1970s, standard production models were purchased from various manufacturers.

The Routemaster, with half cab and rear platform entrance, was designed for two-person operation, and was under threat from the 1970s when front-entranced, one-man-operation  buses were introduced to central London.  Nevertheless, Routemasters saw continuous service in London until 2005, and they remain on two heritage routes (9 and 15) in central London.  It is estimated that there are some 1,000 Routemasters of the 2,876 built still in existence.

RML 2372 was one of 524 Routemasters that were 30 feet long (the basic RM is 27' 6" long).  The extra length is evident from the additional square window in the middle of both decks, accommodating 4 extra double seats.  The vehicle entered service at Holloway garage in 1967 for route 14.  1972-74 she was at Highgate, and 1974-76 at Hamersmith Riverside.  In 1991 she was fitted with a new Cummins engine, and in 1994 went to the privatised London Central Buses, working out of Camberwell garage.  In 2004 she was sold to Ensign Buses, and passed on to a private owner the same year.  She was purchased by the present owner in 2009.  

 

 

Above photo taken at: Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.
Taken on: 10th April 2011

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com