PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RT 1574
REG KLB 662
MAKE AEC
MODEL RT
YEAR 1949
BODY Park Royal Vehicles
OWNER Phil and Gareth Blair of Hampshire
HISTORY The RT standard London Transport bus was introduced in 1946.  There had been a small number built to a slightly different design from 1939, but the war stopped production.  The early RTs had a route number box on the roof, but this was replaced by a three-piece display between the front windows for the vast majority of RTs.  The chassis was an AEC Regent III, hence the code RT (Regent Three).  Bodies were mostly built by Park Royal and Weymann, but some were supplied by Craven (120) and Saunders (300).  They had 56 seats, 26 lower, 30 upper.

RT 1574 entered service in 1949 on route 75 from Catford garage.  She worked from many garages across London until withdrawn by LT in 1976.  She was bought for preservation by D. Bentley of Halifax in 1976, and remained in Yorkshire until 2007.  In that year she was purchased by Phil and Gareth Blair of Hampshire, and is now seen on rallies in the south.

 

 

Above photos taken at: Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.
Taken: 10th April 2011

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com