PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES

FLEET No RT 190
REG HLW 177
MAKE AEC
MODEL RT
YEAR 1947
BODY Park Royal Vehicles
OWNER T Stubbington & A Peters, Welling, Kent
HISTORY The RT standard London Transport bus was introduced in 1946.  There had been a small number built to a slightly different design from 1939, but the war stopped production.  The early RTs had a route number box on the roof, but this was replaced by a three-piece display between the front windows for the vast majority of RTs.  The chassis was an AEC Regent III, hence the code RT (Regent Three).  Bodies were mostly built by Park Royal and Weymann, but some were supplied by Craven (120) and Saunders (300).  They had 56 seats, 26 lower, 30 upper.

This bus (RT 190) was delivered to LT in October 1947 with a Park Royal body, and initially worked out of Leyton Garage.  In May 1949 RT 1173 with a Saunders body was delivered to Elmers End Garage.  During overhaul of both buses in May 1957, the body of RT 190 was fitted to the chassis of RT 1173 - such mixing and matching being normal practice at the time.  In 1963, LT were disposing of old RTs, and RT 1173 with the body of RT 190 was sold to Ubique Coaches (North London) where it continued in service until 1970 when it was sold for preservation becoming part of the then Cobham Bus Museum collection.  Meanwhile, RT 190 with its newer Saunders body had been in use for training until 1969, and was sold in January 1970 to S. Eynon, Trimsaran, Carmarthenshire.

RT 190 with the newer body was subsequently scrapped.  It was then decided to re-designate RT 1173 as RT 190, and to register it with the original RT 190 number HLW 177.  This meant that the "new" RT 190 now had an original Park Royal body, as it had when delivered.  RT 190's body has been extensively refurbished, and most of the original fittings re-established so that the vehicle, as far as possible, is in an "as delivered" condition, including the reduced destination blind - a post war requirement.

The RT 190 history was obtained from the HBH website: click here to view

 

Above photos taken at: Steam & Vintage Vehicle Rally, Rushmoor Arena, Aldershot, Hants.
Taken: Summer 1988

 

Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2010
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission
mjs@onlineweb.com