YEAR 1949
BODY Leyland
OWNER F Clayton, Baynards, Sussex
HISTORY The RT-type standard London Transport bus was introduced in 1946, and reigned supreme until the mid-1960s.  The early RTs had a route number box on the roof, but this was replaced by a three-piece display between the front windows for the vast majority of RTs.  Although the first RTs had AEC chassis and engines, to increase production numbers, Leyland were contracted to produce chassis/engines to a similar specification to the AEC, with a requirement to interchange bodies regardless of chassis make.  The only distinguishing feature was the radiator which had no vertical line, nor the AEC triangle at the top.

The RTWs were London's first 8 feet wide buses - RTs and RTLs were 7 feet 6 inches wide.  Although originally confined to outer areas, after tests for suitability, they were allowed to operate in central London.  Unusually, the bodies were constructed by Leyland also.  The extra six inches were taken up by a one-inch wall spacer on each seat, and four inches extra on the central isle. The first batch were manufactured in 1949 with the remainder coming in 1950-1.  They were allocated to specific central London routes being 6, 6A, 8, 8A, 11, 15, 22, 34B, 46 and 76.  They were withdrawn from passenger service during 1964-1966, but remained as trainers for the 8-feet wide Routemasters until 1969.  The final RTW was sold in 1971.

RTW 185 entered service in 1949 at Putney Bridge garage for route 85.  1950-1952 she was at Tottenham garage, 1953-7 back at Putney Bridge, 1958-1961 at Willesdon, finishing public service at Bow until 1962.  During the years 1963 to 1970 she was a trainer, mostly based at Muswell Hill.  She was purchased by F Clayton in 1971, restored, and shown at rallies until present.  She appears below in original livery, with cream upper window surrounds and reduced destination blind display. 




Above photos taken at: Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.
Taken: 10th April 2011


Return to Bus & Coach List

Photographs Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission