PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES
|FLEET No||RTW 29|
|OWNER||R Adams, Bristol|
|HISTORY||The RT-type standard London
Transport bus was introduced in 1946, and reigned supreme until the
mid-1960s. The early RTs had a route number box on the roof, but
this was replaced by a three-piece display between the front windows for
the vast majority of RTs. Although the first RTs had AEC chassis and
engines, to increase production numbers, Leyland were contracted to
produce chassis/engines to a similar specification to the AEC, with a
requirement to interchange bodies regardless of chassis make. The
only distinguishing feature was the radiator which had no vertical line,
nor the AEC triangle at the top.
The RTWs were London's first 8 feet wide buses - RTs and RTLs were 7 feet 6 inches wide. Although originally confined to outer areas, after tests for suitability, they were allowed to operate in central London. Unusually, the bodies were constructed by Leyland also. The extra six inches were taken up by a one-inch wall spacer on each seat, and four inches extra on the central isle. The first batch were manufactured in 1949 with the remainder coming in 1950-1. They were allocated to specific central London routes being 6, 6A, 8, 8A, 11, 15, 22, 34B, 46 and 76. They were withdrawn from passenger service during 1964-1966, but remained as trainers for the 8-feet wide Routemasters until 1969. The final RTW was sold in 1971.
RTW 29 entered service in 1949 at Tottenham garage on route 41. She transferred to Hamersmith (Riverside) garage in 1951, where the vehicle spent the next seven years working route 11. After a few years out of public service, she went to Willesdon garage until 1965 when she became a trainer. She was finally sold in 1969, and was preserved in 1975.
|Above photo taken at:||Cobham London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey.|
|Taken:||10th April 2011|
Return to Bus & Coach List
Photographs © Mike Smith 2011
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission