PRESERVED BUSES & COACHES
|FLEET No||STL 2692|
|OWNER||C Wickens, Walderslade, Kent|
|HISTORY||The STL (Short
Type Lengthened) began production in 1932 and continued until the outbreak
of war in 1939. The STL became somewhat of a standard LT bus prior
to the arrival of the RTs.
This particular bus (STL 2692), however is one of a small batch of 20 that were acquired in 1946. After the war the LT Country Area was in urgent need of replacing its old STs. Not being first in the queue for RTs, they found an interim solution by purchasing some standard Weymann bodied AEC Regent IIs, with diesel engines and crash gearboxes. They were designated as STLs and numbered in the range 2682-2701. In May 1955, once sufficient RTs were available, these comparatively new STLs were sold on to appreciative municipalities: Widnes had 4, Grimsby 6 and Dundee 10. This vehicle (STL 2692) saw service in Grimsby before being sold into preservation in 1968.
The STL history was obtained from the Ian Smith website: click here to view.
|Above photo taken at:||Steam & Vintage Vehicle Rally, Rushmoor Arena, Aldershot, Hants.|
Return to Bus & Coach List
Photographs © Mike Smith 2010
None to be reproduced elsewhere without permission